Vegan Cabbage Rolls with Seitan (Gluten-Free)
Ingredients: 1 head sour cabbage, 1 kg fresh seitan, 2 cups half-cooked grains (rice or barley), ½ cup uncooked millet, 100 g smoked seitan or tofu, 2 carrots, 1 bunch parsley, 1 small celeriac, 2 onions, 2-3 cloves garlic, 4 tablespoons type 850 flour, 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons cornstarch or whole-wheat flour, red paprika, to taste, oil, a pinch of salt
1. Marinate seitan slices overnight in soy sauce. Flour them and fry briefly. Cut the seitan into small cubes or grind. Add finely chopped smoked seitan or tofu, grains, grated vegetables (which you have previously sautéed briefly with onions), and 4 tablespoons of half-white flour. Combine well.
2. Wash cabbage leaves in cold water and fill with the mixture.
3. In a pot, heat paprika briefly with 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Remove from heat, add cabbage rolls, and cover with water. Cook for 40-50 minutes, until the cabbage is cooked.
4. Finally, whisk cornstarch or flour with water. If necessary, add more soy sauce and pour into the pot. Bring to a boil. Serve with mashed potatoes.
5. For a lighter version, just marinate and grind or chop the seitan and skip the frying.
Vegan Cabbage Rolls (Gluten-Free)
Ingredients: 1 head sour cabbage, 200 g smoked tofu, ½ cup buckwheat (soaked overnight), ½ cup rice (soaked overnight), 1 onion, 1 clove garlic, 1-2 carrots, 1 parsley root, some celeriac, 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, ½ cup of walnuts (finely chopped with a knife, not ground into a meal), 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, tomato purée, water, bay leaves
1. Heat some olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic with a bit of salt. Add finely grated vegetables and shredded smoked tofu. Stir until the flavors combine.
2. Remove from heat and add soaked buckwheat and rice. Stir to combine and add finely chopped parsley, spices, salt, and paprika. Add chopped walnuts last.
3. Pour some oil into a pot. Fill the cabbage leaves with the mixture, roll, and stack them into the pot. Pour tomato purée and water over the cabbage rolls. When the water boils, cover the pot and simmer on low.
Watch the video recipe at https://youtu.be/-11iSo0FBmk.