10/14/11 Inspection of Riders' Club "Equus Caballus"
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE,
FISHERIES, AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Veterinary Office Varazdin
October 14, 2011
Subject: Inspection of Riders' Club "Equus Caballus"
According to the information gathered from a number of citizens who telephoned us today, Dubravka Margeta Ostojic, the owner of Riders' Club "Equus Caballus," located in Varazdin, in the area called Mali Prelogi along River Drava, will be absent from next week onwards because of serving a prison sentence.
Since we are unable to verify this information ourselves, and considering the fact that this Riders’ Club has been accused many times of neglecting and torturing animals, as well as of keeping the horses in exceptionally bad circumstances, even in the presence of the owner herself, we are asking for an urgent inspection of Riders’ Club 'Equus Caballus', as well as urgent intervention on behalf of the animals.
We are asking for the inspection primarily in order to secure timely prevention of disastrous consequences for a large number of animals left without supervision, food, water, and adequate care, as well as to determine the true situation and conditions in which the animals are currently living, especially whether they are adequately protected and cared for, and how, more precisely:
- whether the animals have access to fresh food and water,
- whether they are supervised by an adult person of adequate training,
- what is their health condition and how they are cared for in terms of prevention and cure if and when it is necessary,
- whether they are adequately accommodated in open or enclosed space,
- whether the space in which they are accommodated fulfils the minimum of technical requirements in terms of fresh air supply, cleaning, security and protection in case of fire and other events that can endanger the life and health of animals and humans, and
- all other circumstances that can influence the life and health of animals and humans at the location.
In order to make sure that the animals will be protected in a timely and direct manner, we are asking you to inform us in written form about the measures and activities you have undertaken, as well as the achieved results.
Martina Jurisa, criminologist