The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
HPBooks, ISBN 1-55788-359-9
Meat-free, egg-free, dairy-free dishes from the healthiest region under the sun
When scientists began to make the connection between diet and disease, there was one region that stood out as a stronghold of healthful eating: the Mediterranean. After years of research, an international conference backed the Mediterranean diet as the best for overall good health - and the exciting news was that it tasted great, too.
Now you can take the tour yourself, with this unique Mediterranean vegan cookbook - also ideal for vegetarians, those with a lactose intolerance, and anyone who wants to make gloriously delicious dishes without meat, eggs, or dairy. With no need for tofu, soymilk, or other substitutes, you can create...
- MEZE, TAPAS, ANTIPASTI, HORS D'OUEVRES: Luscious in any language - snacks and starters from Sicilian Eggplant Relish to Catalan Grilled Vegetables with Almond Sauce
- SOUPS AND STEWS from Moroccan Carrot to Gazpacho to Classic Italian Minestrone
- SALADS from Moroccan Fresh Tomato to Tunisian Beet with Harissa
- BLACK OLIVE BREAD, PANINI, PIZZA ALLA MARINARA, CLASSIC FOCACCIA
- SPRING VEGETABLE RISOTTO, ZUCCHINI-LEMON COUSCOUS, GREEN RICE
- DAIRY-FREE DESSERTS from Greek Currant Cake to Braised Pears in Red Wine
Let the Mediterranean sun into your kitchen - and enjoy!
Also includes a special 'Meals in Minutes' section for the busy cook plus calorie, protein, fat, carbohydrate, fiber, sodium, and cholesterol analyses for each recipe.
Donna Klein, a food writer who has contributed to The Washington Post, Vegetarian Gourmet, Veggie Life, The Herb Companion, Body and Soul, and Yoga Journal, studied French regional cooking at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris.