The Animal Protection Network
The Animal Protection Network was founded on June 15, 2008 and is an Animal Friends' project with the aim of networking organizations, individuals and institutions to work on the issues of animal abandoning and their homing.
It has over 40 members, among them animal protection organizations and lots of individuals, while it has the support of the Ministry of Agriculture.
Through Animal Friends, the Animal Protection Network collaborates with the Veterinary Office and the Veterinary Inspection Office of the Ministry of Agriculture, the City of Zagreb and other bodies of state, regional and local government.
In the Network's field of activity meetings are being held after which the agreed conclusions and decisions are implemented. The Animal Protection Network works on the education of its members, transmits useful information to members and collects and sends proposals for amendments of laws and regulations to relevant institutions.
The coordination of the Animal Protection Network is done by members of Animal Friends and collaborators from other organizatons. There is no formal membership, but members will receive the right for information and the right to join the meetings.
This Animal Protection Network is open to other organizations, civil initiatives, shelter managers, representatives of city and municipal authorities and individuals, and those who contribute to the management and prevention of abandoning of animals.
These are some of the aims of the Animal Protection Network:
- Good communication and cooperation between the Network members
- Good communication and cooperation of the Network with relevant institutions such as city and municipal governments, state institutions such as veterinary inspections, veterinary stations and other
- Insistence on the implementation of the Animal Protection Act and its further modification in order to improve the conditions of homing of abandoned animals
- Collecting information about the state of caretaking of abandoned animals and animal protection throughout the country
- Informing the media and the public about the real situation regarding the implementation of the Animal Protection Act and protection of homeless animals
- Insistence on sanctioning abuse, neglect and abandonment of animals and encouraging to report/file charges to competent institutions
- Promotion of programs of microchipping and spaying/neutering animals to prevent abandoning and uncontrolled breeding
- Encouraging the construction of shelters for abandoned animals as well as public institutions for treatment, care and housing of abandoned animals
- Promoting homing instead of buying pets
- Comprehensive education on animal protection and rights through the shelters for abandoned animals and aside them
- Informing animal protection organizations, shelter managers, representatives of the veterinary practice, city and municipal authorities about legal obligations and protection of animals
- Encouraging organizations and individuals to function independently in their local area
- Pointing to the proper operation of shelters for abandoned animals and services dealing with abandoned animals
The ultimate goal of the Animal Protection Network is complete cessation of abandoning of animals and raising awareness and responsibilities of citizens to a level which will result in the termination of the need for a shelter for abandoned animals.